Friday, December 28, 2018

Free associating CRC food grade silicone spray

I saw it at NAPA, CRC food grade spray
I forget what I was reading about it
For hoses, no doubt, as it is "food grade".

//

At StangNet.com: What is best way to lubricate a tight hose onto a fitting? ... from 2005. (I think I was still using my Commodore 64 back then.)

Timeless2 responds:
Silicone spray.
I would avoid using petroleum jelly on rubber hoses.

That again: avoid using petroleum jelly on rubber
Look into that, art.

//

From Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange: Does Vaseline dissolve rubber?

Paulster2 replies:
I would suggest that those o-rings which are made to work in the automotive realm are made to be resistant to things such as oil, gasoline, and other petroleum products. This would include Vaseline...

Ah... Good point. But I happen to be not in the automotive realm but the garden hose department. I'm remembering Mr Hardware say that he likes the rubber washers or maybe it was rubber hoses. These might be made of modern synthetics. Probably. Synthetic rubber is probably less costly to produce than the natural stuff, so most rubber is synthetic; that would be my guess. But that doesn't really tell me what my garden hose stuff is made of.

Paulster2 continues:
While Vaseline and other petroleum products may degrade real rubber (actually made from the rubber tree), current o-rings technology does not use natural rubber.
Right. But again, he's talking automotive.

Baas says petroleum products like Vaseline might make EPDM rubber products swell so they don't fit. EPDM is synthetic.

//

Stack Exchange is reliably useful.

//

But if I am replacing the garden hose washers every year or so, what would it matter?

Oh, but then there are the rubber hoses also, remember.

//

CRC Food Grade Silicone Grease:
Food Grade Plastic And Rubber Lubricant

CRC Food Grade Silicone Grease is a thin non-curing silicone grease designed for sealing, lubricating and waterproofing o-rings and other rubber and plastic parts used in food processing equipment. It insulates valves, electrical contacts, spark plugs, battery terminals and fasteners from moisture and protects against corrosion. It is resistant to oil, water and chemicals and will not harden, freeze, dry or melt.
Comes in a tube.
The stuff I saw at NAPA was a spray can...

Here it is at Ace for ten bucks, a spray can of silicone "lubricant".

Gotta get some. I want to clean up my hoses and fittings in January so they're ready for Spring. My way to dispose of Winter doldrums.

No comments: