Saturday, December 8, 2018

snow sticks in snowblower


Ariens Non-Stick Polymer Coating
$9.98 at Home Depot / 11 oz can (91 cents an ounce)

Lowes offers it for two cents less for the can, but my local store is out of stock.

JBAD0 at Home D says
I used this for the first time last winter on my Ariens 30" snow thrower auger and chute assembly. The polymer coating helped a lot and made heavy snow throw further. I resprayed the snow thrower for this pending winter. I also used it on all my snow shovels, which made the snow slide off easier. I purchased an extra can and sprayed the chute on my riding lawn tractor which helped to prevent the grass from clogging.
I'm sold!


DuPont General Purpose 10 oz. Dry Lubricant
$7.59 at Ace Hardware / 10 oz can (76 cents an ounce)

Oddly, we've had snow already, but my local Ace doesn't have this stuff in stock.

Odder yet, This item is no longer available on Lowes.com.

Not at all odd, the 10-ounce can is available for 90 cents less at Walmart than Ace, until you add the $5.25 shipping. So $4.35 more than Ace in the end.

Walmart adds: "Pickup not available". Now that's odd.

At Walmart, BarJoseph says
This product makes wet snow slide right off of both shovels and the chute of the snow blower. Result: less clogging of the blower and the I don't have to lift a heavy snow laden shovel or constantly be banging it on the ground to get the snow off of it. Awesome.
Sounds good.


Does Anyone use Pam to keep snow from Sticking?

Several replies:
Yes... I use the cheapest generic cooking spray I can find... I apply it each time I use any of my snowblowers, single or two stage. If they get used they get sprayed. I spray the chute, the impellers, augers and inside of the bucket. Usually try to have a decent coat of good wax on the outside so snow won't stick as well.

Some use WD-40...

I use spray silicon down in the impeller housing... and then I use ski wax on the inside surface of the chute... the ski wax I am hundred percent sure of the fact that it is actually formulated for cold snow, super slippery, and durable.

... fluid film... you can get it off line or at a Deere Dealer.

I never had a snowblower chute clog ... I wonder what is causing your chutes to clog?



How to Keep Your Snow Blower Chute from Clogging

As Google summarizes it:
  • Use a Non-Stick Spray. Snowblower non-stick spray coats the chute and auger just like a cooking spray, shielding the metal so snow passes through without sticking, clumping, or clogging. ...
  • Use a Clean-Out Tool. ...
  • Go Faster.
Go faster. Wow. I'll have to try that. I've been slowing down, to go easy on the machine!

Notice the recommendation seems to be to use a spray that works like a cooking spray, not one that is cooking spray. However, I'm gonna try "the cheapest generic cooking spray I can find" first, as that's what I have. And maybe I'll go faster.

No comments: