Monday, November 26, 2018

My first shrinky hose was 3/4" diameter x 50ft unshrunk

Shrunk, it was 15 feet long maybe, and about 3/8" diameter, and weighed next to nothin.

What you give up when you get shrinky hoses is durability. I didn't know. After two, two and a half years, I found out the hard way. It wasn't pretty. There was a hole 10 feet from one end of the thing. So I cut it in two, at the hole.

So how do you put a new hose end fitting into a shrinky hose?

I did it last year. It took hours. I kept pushing the fitting with my thumb till it was all the way in.

Yeah, but the thing came out a few weeks later. Dunno, maybe I didn't tighten it enough. Or didn't check it and re-tighten. Definitely the latter. Lesson learned, I hope.

Since then, I sat down two or three times to stuff the fitting into the hose again. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. My thumb hurt just thinking about it. I pushed on that fitting and ignored my thumb, the first time, and when I was done it hurt for a week. Felt like I pushed my thumb out from under the thumbnail.

That was using a fitting designed for half-inch hose.

So recently I had a thought: Try a smaller fitting. Try a fitting designed for 3/8" hose. So what if it's small, at least I might be able to use the hose.

So I bought some fittings. The best I could come up with locally was
It wasn't a perfect solution but I was happy with it.

It took me two minutes to insert the barb into the shrinky end. Took me almost 10 minutes to find a wrench to tighten the hose clamp.

Didn't test it yet. I'll let you know how it holds up.

3 comments:

The Arthurian said...

Okay, I fixed the other half of that hose. Took more than two minutes to get the fitting in, to be sure, and my thumb hurts a little, but now I have two more useful lengths of shrinky hose, and two less things I should just throw out.

The fittings I bought cost about $12. But I still have half of them left, so figure $6 in parts used, plus some of my me-time at $0 per hour, as opposed to spending $20 or more to replace the hose that was no good.

Good deal.

The Arthurian said...

PS, I tested this one in the utility sink with my Swan swivel and all. Just tried it for a minute. No leaks.

So far, so good.

The Arthurian said...

The 3/8 hose barb fittings ... if I need more: Instead of splicing together two adapters by their National Pipe Thread ends for $1.29 + $2.29, I can try the Green Leaf 3/4 in. FHT x 3/8 in. Dia. Barb Nylon Adapter for $2.79. (I have to buy 5 at a time.)

Or as part of a larger order perhaps, the Nylon Swivel Female Insert x 3/4" GHT for $0.72 apiece from US Plastic. They have the males I need, too, for $0.61 apiece.