Wednesday, November 14, 2018

The times they are a-changin

Well, some weeks back I was looking at "screw-on" hose menders. Compression style, I guess they're called. Anyway, I was looking.

One of the ones I found was this, at Amazon:


I liked it a lot, but not for the price.

Later, when I found more, similar fittings, I linked to them in the comments. I want to look at some of those fittings now: in particular, fittings from alexnld.com

Let's start with this:


These are the five different views you can look at for the Expert Brass Car Garden Hose Pipe Connector Joint Repair Joiner, $5.99 from alexnld.com. Look at the fourth of these, going from left to right:


This is quite clearly the same as the fitting shown above, connecting blue hose to blue hose. It is a mid-hose mender.

Notice that the left-side cap and the right-side cap are equal in width. You could turn the fitting end-for-end, and the caps would still fit. You could turn the whole thing end-for-end, and hoses would still attach at both ends. Okay? Now look at the first two views of this Expert Brass Car Garden Hose Pipe Connector Joint Repair Joiner -- quite a name, isn't it? -- these two views:


Now we're looking at a fitting that connects a hose (on the left) to a quick-connect male (on the right). This is no mid-hose mender. This is a hose end mender.

This is a hose end mender, but it doesn't end with the GHT fitting we all know and love. It ends with a quick connect. If I was gonna do this with common, ordinary fittings, I would need two fittings to do it: a hose-end mender, to put a male or female GHT on the end of the hose... and an ordinary quick-connect fitting to convert the GHT end to a QC end.

This fitting costs five dollars. Six dollars, I guess: $5.99. Six dollars. And you do it with one fitting.

If you did it with two fittings it would cost more than six bucks, that's for sure. Brass? You'd be lucky to do it for less than ten. What could I get at True Value, my regular haunt, to make that conversion?

What I would have done before I got interested in these screw-on fittings would have been a hose-barb insert and a QC fitting that screws onto it. These are the ones I would have picked:


These two fittings would have cost me about $12.

Alexnld offers one fitting that does the work of two for six bucks. One piece instead of two, and half the cost. Without garden hose threads.

What do I need garden hose threads for, anyway? Only to connect to my other garden hose threads. If everything goes direct to quick-connect, I don't need anything with garden hose threads.

This is a mind blower.


Here's another one from alexnld:

Brass Two-way Quick Joint Hose Connector Fitting For Wash Car Pipe Garden Water Hose
The names they give these things are a nightmare. I'll grant you that!

You can use it to connect two hoses together by their female quick-connects. Because obviously all hoses come with quick connects on the ends -- or they will, soon.

Oh by the way: At the page for this fitting, one of the other views they provide shows this double-male fitting connecting two hoses together. The fittings on the other hoses are the ones we saw above, hose mender to quick connect. And the hose they show connecting to these fittings is the same reinforced blue hose shown in the first picture I show in this post.

I don't see much use for this particular fitting, actually. Have not run across a need for it. But the point is, you would only ever need this fitting if the hoses you wanted to join together had QC connections on the end and to get them off you'd have to cut them off. For example, if you bought hoses that had QC ends rather than the old, threaded GHT ends. See what I'm sayin?

Alexnld.com is making garden hose threads obsolete.


One more to look at. Check out the spray nozzle in this photo:

4pcs Brass Hose Pipe Connector Irrigation Tools Garden Tap Quick Connectors Spray Nozzle
I have a nozzle like that, but mine has garden hose threads and I have a quick-connect screwed into it. Mine was two purchases, theirs is one. Mine is female, with a swivel nut. Theirs doesn't need a swivel nut because after the QC connection is made, the two sides still turn independently.

I tell ya, alexnld.com is making garden hose threads obsolete. It's a mind blower.

No comments: