Sunday, October 14, 2018

Dultmeier Sales: Flow Data - Water Through Hose

A technical page turned up in a Google search: Flow Data - Water Through Hose from Dultmeier Sales. One-page PDF. Some interesting facts. And it looks like it'll be useful if I can find it when I need it, and if I take a few minutes to figure it out.

Some of the interesting stuff:
Pressure loss is proportionate to length [of hose].
They include a table of pressure loss, too. And this:
Water pressure expressed as feet of head (height of a column, or difference in elevation) can be converted to psi by multiplying by .43.
Did not know that. (Won't remember it, either.) But it might come in handy when I run across a table that gives water pressure as "feet of head". I've seen it before.

And this:
Couplings of the insert type, attached with bands or clamps are restrictive. Pressure loss resulting from use of these couplings is approximately equal to 5% of the loss through 100’ of hose.
Using the table they provide(for 100' of hose) you can now figure the pressure loss from couplings. And this rings a bell for me.

When we decided to run a hose underground to our garden, I came across Installing an Underground Water Line and Remote Faucet from Lee Valley Tools. It encouraged me to go with my plan to bury the hose. So I did. In my heavy clay soil their "rock a spade handle back and forth" suggestion didn't work at all. But I got the digging all done in a day, enough to bury 223 feet of 3/4" hose.

One of their "points to keep in mind" was this:
Use a large-diameter hose and avoid the use of hose menders. The longer your hose, the greater the pressure drop is going to be between the faucet and the far end of the hose. The pressure drop is minimized by using large-diameter hose and by avoiding the use of restrictions such as hose menders.
It's a teaser. I went with their recommendation, obviously. But it stuck in my mind because I want to know what harm I'm doing to the flow by using a hose mender. Using the Dultmeier info sheet, maybe I can figure it out.

1 comment:

The Arthurian said...

The house is on a hill. It's about a 25 foot vertical difference, down the slope to where the garden is, to the far end of our buried hose. What I'm wondering is: Does that 25ft vertical difference add 25 "feet of head" to the water pressure at the garden end of the hose? 0.43x25 = 10.75 psi added.

I think it does, but I also have to subtract pressure based on the length of the hose. If I read the Dultmeier chart correctly, assuming a flow rate of 5 gallons per minute (probably on the high side) the pressure loss per 100 feet (for a 3/4-inch hose) is 4 psi.

223 feet of buried hose, plus a foot above ground at each end, plus another 75ft to the spigot at the house is 300 feet. 300ft at 4psi per hundred feet is a 12 psi loss.

It's more or less a wash.