Thursday, October 18, 2018

Well that's disappointing

My old house was old. Pipes would spring leaks for no reason. Where I say "no reason" you might say "corrosion", but you get my point. Old house.

The old house had half-inch copper pipe for the water supply. The new house, where I am now, has 3/4-inch pipe. The water flow is way better.

The new house has two outside faucets for my garden hoses, front and back. But you know what? They're both plumbed in half-inch pipe, like some kind of afterthought. What the heck! The one of em is only 6 or 8 feet of half-inch before the spigot, the rest three-quarter. The other one is half-inch pipe, full width of the basement; then it turns the corner and disappears from view, still half-inch.

So much for my plans to change the spigots, to put in ones that you could drop a 3/4" marble through, so to speak. A little additional re-piping will be needed.

I wonder the reason they changed from 3/4 to 1/2 for the outside faucets. Convention? Regulation? Save a buck? Eh, I'm still thinkin three-quarter pipe inside, three-quarter spigots, and three-quarter hose outside before it branches off. Think big.

No comments: