Sunday, October 7, 2018

The Gilmour full-flow splitter at Amazon

Well, I wasn't gonna buy any more fittings with the swivel nut that leaks when the teeth break off. But I did. Gilmour is dumping them at Amazon and I fell for it. They look so good. Here's one of the photos from the Amazon site:


Ball valves that get bigger where the ball is, so that the ball can be big enough to take a 3/4" hole thru it. (I didn't actually measure the hole, but it looks like 3/4".) Big grabbers to make the turning off and on easier. And that lovely but problematic swivel nut. Oh, well.

But I want to point out something else in the photo. The splitter is large enough to contain a 3/4" diameter[1] path for water flow, equal to the ID of the largest standard garden hose size. But the spigot coming off the house is too small to provide that kind of flow!

Is that really the best photo to use to sell full-flow splitters?

//

1. I just went and measured one: 5/8" diameter at the outlet end. Looks like maybe 3/4" at the inlet, but there's a 5/8" ID hose washer that blocks part of the opening. So I guess there's a reason they call these things "full flow" rather than actually telling you the ID measurement.

Still, I'd want a bigger diameter faucet than what they show.

No comments: