Friday, October 26, 2018

Had to have em


You may remember these fittings. I was drooling over them, the Snip-n-Drip fittings. These are meant for the Snip-n-Drip hose, which is described as half-inch hose.

Really! A lot of soaker hose is 3/8" hose, 3/8" ID.

Okay, the Snip-n-Drip fittings are for half inch hose. I don't generally use half-inch hose or smaller sizes. Could be using it more, though, as I've been thinking about getting soaker hose and setting up permanent ("summer-long") hose layouts. But up till now, no.

Be that as it may, most of my hoses are 5/8" and the Snip-n-Drips won't fit. But I found some that will fit, at ACE. Look just like em:


And look at those prices! The "shipping" is just me, going to get them. But that's not a cost... It's a delight. Even. I. like. shopping. (Don't tell my wife!)

And these are for 5/8" hoses, and 3/4".

Well you know what? Long story short, I bought some. Ordered em from Ace. Should be in in a week. But there is more to the story.

I found the same fittings on Amazon. Of course I did: Jeff Beezos is like Pinky and The Brain, trying to take over the world.

I couldn't buy the Ace fittings, good as those prices are, without first comparing Amazon's prices. Amazon made it complicated by offering different quantities at different prices. I grabbed the price info for
and figured out "each" prices for the different quantities they offer:

 Male End  Mid Hose  Female End 
ACE$2.39$2.39$2.39
 Amazon
Qty 1
$6.99$5.74$4.89
Amazon
Qty 2
$4.41$4.23$4.41
Amazon
Qty 5
$3.07$2.84$3.06
Amazon
Qty 10
$2.68$2.55$2.86
Amazon
Qty 20
$2.44$2.39$2.40
Amazon
Links
 Male End  Mid Hose  Female End 

I had to pay sales tax on the Ace fittings, which brought the price up to $2.59 apiece. I bought five of each, because I could justify that quantity. To beat Ace's price at Amazon I would have had to buy 20 of each, for a total of almost four times what I paid at Ace.


The man who took my order asked, "What are you working on?"

Getting ready for Spring!

1 comment:

The Arthurian said...

Glad I got those fittings when I did. I see an ad today for the same item for $2.59, 20 cents more apiece.

20 cents x 15 fittings = $3 difference for the order, plus tax.